You probably don’t even want to think about winter right now but I’m sure you’ll be happy you did if you end up going somewhere tropical in the winter months when everyone back home is sulking in the snow. Or, maybe you like to hit the slopes. Whatever you choose, I’m sure you will have a lot of fun.
Vacations don’t have to be expensive, and it’s very possible to start saving now (in August) and manage to pay for an amazing vacation in just a few months.
Below are three ways to save money for a vacation:
1. Use a rewards credit card.
This will only work if you plan on booking your trip later in the game. This is because it will probably take you a few months in order to receive the rewards points. However, there’s nothing wrong with booking late, as I often do this.
With a rewards credit card, you can get your trip for cheap or sometimes even free and this makes saving for a vacation much easier. I love earning rewards points by spending money just like I normally would. It’s a great way to travel for cheap!
2. Cut your expenses.
If saving for a vacation is on your mind, then you might want to try cutting your expenses. You never know, just temporarily cutting some of your expenses may lead to you realizing that you didn’t need to even spend that money in the first place.
Some expenses you may want to cut include:
- Cancel any memberships such as at the gym or spa.
- Cut your clothing spending. Wear what you already have.
- Buy generic instead of name brand. You probably won’t even notice a difference.
- Make food at home more and cut out restaurant spending.
- Bring your lunch to work.
- Stop paying interest fees.
- Instead of spending money on having fun and entertainment, instead find frugal things to do. There are plenty of ways to have fun that are free or are very cheap.
- Ask companies if they can cut your rate. All you have to do is ask, and many places will give you a discount because they usually expect it. These companies could include, cable, satellite, internet radio, phone, and so on.
- Combine car trips so that you can lower your fuel spending.
- Watch your utility bills. You may want to try keeping your house a little warmer or cooler in order to not work your furnace or air conditioning unit as harshly.
3. Make extra money.
Another way to save money for your vacation is to make extra money. This can be a great way to save money for it because you won’t have to cut back in other areas in your life in order to do this.
Instead, you can make extra money is your spare time and put it towards your vacation fund.
There are plenty of ways for you to make extra money. You can: pick up extra hours or shifts, find a part-time job, freelance, and more.
Do you have any vacations planned for the rest of 2014 or 2015?
How are you trying to save money?
Image via Flickr by WalkingGeek