Do you have healthy addictions? I spent the summer being unhealthy while I was living in limbo between houses. This last month, I’ve been trying to get back in the swing of things to get myself on track again. And that includes working out at 5:30 am!! Yikes! I was listening to a call the other day and they mentioned 12 Healthy Addictions as told by Wayne Allen Root. (If you’ve never heard Wayne speak, he’s a dynamite speaker and has a great story about how he got his start).
Being unhealthy can really have an impact on our finances. From the junk food we eat and spend too much money on to not getting enough sleep or exercise. I thought these 12 Healthy Addictions were a great reminder of what we can do to take care of ourselves.
12 Healthy Addictions
1. Early to Bed / Early to Rise – I am finding that this works really well for me, even though it was hard to do at first. I generally try to go to bed around 9 pm and get up at 4:50 am, even on the days I don’t work out. I feel better when I get a good nights sleep and it truly is better than staying up until 3 or 4 am (which I used to do).
2. Walk Before Exercise – Sometimes I will just walk for exercise, it’s an easy way to burn a few calories and it feels good to get outside and move around, especially when the weather is nice!
3. Meditate – I don’t do this enough but in the past, it has helped me feel better and get centered.
4. Pray – I do this every night before bed.
5. Visualize / Affirmations – I always laughed at the thought of visualizations or affirmations but once you do it, you find how powerful it is. It helps keep the focus so you are working towards your goals.
6. Build a Dream Book – Haven’t done this but a good idea to try.
7. Physical Fitness – Have you ever noticed when you don’t work out, you feel like crap? I have to move and exercise makes me feel better. I like doing exercise that doesn’t feel like exercise like kickboxing or Zumba. Yoga and weight training are also high on my list.
8. Super Nutrition & Vitamins – Nutrition is an area I still struggle with because I like to eat! And I like to eat crappy foods like fries, cheeseburgers and nachos. Oh and I love Mt. Dew! I’ve done good lately getting off the Dew (I’m amazed at how much better I feel when I don’t drink it, yet I can’t stay away) but I really need to improve in the nutrition area. I have been taking Shaklee vitamins for over 2 years now and I can tell a big difference when I forget to take them.
9. Yoga – I am missing my normal yoga sessions because I’m having a hard time fitting it in but I feel SO MUCH better after doing yoga regularly. I’ve even went so far as to do Bikram (hot) yoga. You have to try that at least once in your life to experience it!
10. Body is a Temple (No Alcohol, Drugs or Cigarettes) – That’s a given!
11. Faith – Believe in Yourself – We are all capable of doing so much more than we give ourselves credit for. When we open ourselves up to the possibility of what we can do, we can end up places we never expected!
12. Goals – I hope everyone reading this has goals in the different areas of their life. I’m not just talking about financial goals but also life goals. Where do you want to be in 1 year, 3 years or 10 years? What will it take to get there?
Do you have any healthy addictions you would like to share? Please leave a comment to share with everyone!