Traveling is something I love to do. I always try to fit more and more of it into my life.
A question I am often asked is how I can afford all of this travel. Many think I must be rich or I am just lucky. No!
Okay, I do feel lucky, but I think it mostly has to do with me knowing how to travel on a budget.
Below are my tips for how you can travel on a budget and fit more traveling into your life.
1. Watch your transportation spending.
Transportation spending is usually the biggest part in a person’s budget. Between ever-increasing airfare prices, taxis, shuttles, and more, it can all add up very quickly.
My best tip to save money is to use public transportation or find safe places to walk to and from where you are wanting to visit. I prefer this way usually no matter what because driving in a new place can sometimes be very confusing and/or hectic.
2. See the country like a local.
For me, I always prefer to see a country like a local. I’m not much of a touristy person. Instead, I like to see what the country is really like. I like to eat like a local, learn more about the country’s culture, and more.
3. Be aware of how much you spending on accommodations.
Accommodations are usually one of my biggest travel budget busters whenever I visit a new destination. However, that doesn’t always have to be the case. There are plenty of ways to save money when deciding where you plan on sleeping:
- What are you looking to get out of your accommodations? Some prefer nice hotels that are luxurious. Others are just looking for a place to store their luggage and to sleep.
- Are you open to couch-surfing? This is where you sleep on a person’s couch or on their spare bed. It is usually free and you might even make a lifelong friend.
- Are you interested in short-term rentals? My favorite websites to look at before I pick a place to sleep are Airbnb.com and HomeAway.com. I like finding nice little spots to rent for just a few days. Usually they are much more homey, have a kitchen, laundry machines, and they are usually cheaper. If you are traveling with a big group then a short-term rental is usually the best way for you to save money as well – you can usually get a big house with multiple rooms for much cheaper than renting multiple hotel rooms.
Editor’s Note: You can also compare hotel, vacation, and flight prices at TripAdvisor.com. By comparing prices, you can get some of the best vacation deals available. But don’t stop there. Check out other websites like Hotelwatchdog.com. Even if a website compares multiple prices, check out other websites that compare multiple prices to find fantastic deals.
How do you try to save money when traveling? Leave a comment!