UPDATE: I have written a detailed report here on how I use Roku as an Alternative to Cable. Click on the link and then right click on the pdf to save it. These detailed step by step instructions should help you save money on your monthly cable bill.
A few months ago, I wrote an article on using the Roku Digital Video Player as an Alternative to Cable so I thought now would be a good time to do a follow up post to tell you if I still like the Roku as an option for t.v.
I LOVE IT!!!
I can not recommend this option for t.v. enough!
Why I like Roku
1. After I bought the Roku box, the only thing I pay monthly is a $7.99 subscription fee to Netflix. So I love not having a huge cable bill each month.
2. I still get local channels for free since I bought the antenna that picks up local hd channels.
3. I am watching all kinds of shows that I never knew existed!
Some of my favorite shows I’ve watched on Netflix
1. Sons of Anarchy – One word. Jax.
2. Eli Stone – Great show that I never watched when it was on but really love this show.
3. Pulling – Raunchy BBC show that for some reason is just hilarious.
4. Gavin and Stacey – Another BBC show that I really enjoyed.
5. Lost – I am not ashamed to admit I watched 6 years of Lost in 1 month. Thanks Netflix!
Of course, not all is perfect. There are some downsides to Netflix as awell.
Downsides to Having Netflix
1. I find I’m watching more t.v. than I did when I had cable – I was not joking when I said I watched 6 years of Lost in 1 month. Having all of the episodes ready to go makes it hard to stop.
2. Netflix isn’t the quickest to add all the new seasons – I’m still waiting for season 2 of Gavin & Stacey to get on Netflix, as well as season 3 of Sons of Anarchy.
3. Too many choices isn’t always a good thing – Sometimes I find myself getting lost in the titles. I have literally sat in front of the t.v. for an hour trying to decide what to watch. Then I just give up because I can’t decide!
4. Not everyone is watching shows from 2001 – When I was watching Lost, I wanted to have discussions with friends about the show. I forgot most of them watched it 6 years ago when it was on so I guess I would not be a good person to try to discuss current shows with!
All in all, theRoku box is an excellent solution to curb a high cable bill. I highly highly recommend Roku to anyone who wants an alternative to cable!
Join the nearly 25,000 other Smart Girl's Jenny reaches each month! By taking personal finance beyond the basics, Jenny (aka The Jenny Pincher) is reaching women with a no-nonsense message about building wealth and securing their futures.
With a fun and upbeat delivery, Jenny offers solutions and tips for modern day living through her blog, podcast and social media. Sign up below to be included on updates from The Jenny Pincher!