A few months ago, I wrote an article on using the Roku Digital Video Player as an Alternative to Cable so I thought now would be a good time to do a follow up post to tell you if I still like the Roku as an option for t.v.
I LOVE IT!!!
I can not recommend this option for t.v. enough! (See my update below for a detailed step-by-step guide on how to make this switch).
Why I like Roku
1. After I bought the Roku box, the only thing I pay monthly is a $9.99 subscription fee to Netflix (updated 2016). So I love not having a huge cable bill each month.
2. I still get local channels for free since I bought the antenna that picks up local hd channels.
3. I am watching all kinds of shows that I never knew existed!
Some of my favorite shows I’ve watched on Netflix
1. Stranger Things
2. House of Cards
3. The Office (I watched it when it was on tv but still love the reruns!)
5. Lost – I am not ashamed to admit I watched 6 years of Lost in 1 month. Thanks Netflix!
Of course, not all is perfect. There are some downsides to Netflix as well.
Downsides to Having Netflix
1. I find I’m watching more t.v. than I did when I had cable – I was not joking when I said I watched 6 years of Lost in 1 month. Having all of the episodes ready to go makes it hard to stop.
2. Netflix isn’t the quickest to add all the new seasons. We all know that and it’s a bummer.
3. Too many choices isn’t always a good thing – Sometimes I find myself getting lost in the titles. I have literally sat in front of the t.v. for hours trying to decide what to watch. Then I just give up because I can’t decide! If you suffer from this too, this Netflix secret code list can hep you to search through the categories on your PC or phone to narrow down the shows you want to watch.
4. Not everyone is watching shows from 2001 – When I was watching Lost, I wanted to have discussions with friends about the show. I forgot most of them watched it years ago when it was on so I guess I would not be a good person to try to discuss current shows with!
All in all, the Roku box is an excellent solution to curb a high cable bill. I highly highly recommend Roku to anyone who wants an alternative to cable!
Are you looking for more ways to save money? Check out my popular post: Budgets for Dummies- Creating a Household Budget in 5 Easy Steps for more info.
UPDATE: I have written a detailed report on how I use Roku as an Alternative to Cable. Click on the link and then right click on the pdf to save it. These detailed step by step instructions should help you save money on your monthly cable bill.