I have never shopped on Black Friday. Growing up, I always worked at my family’s hardware store and we were always to busy to take off to go shopping. I got used to working that day and as I got older and had jobs which didn’t require me to work the day after Thanksgiving, I still didn’t have any interest.
Here are my top 5 reasons why I don’t shop on Black Friday:
1. I’m lazy – I like to sleep in the day after Thanksgiving (or any day really). I usually try to catch up on my sleep that day and getting up at 2 or 3 am (or not sleeping at all) just does not appeal to me.
2. I hate crowds – I don’t really even like normal shopping so the thought of waiting in line to push through a door with herds of people is probably one of my worst nightmares. I try to shop at off times for my normal shopping because I hate dealing with crowds. No deal is that good for me to put myself through that misery!
3. I don’t fist fight – No… there is no item that I can think of that would cause me to put myself in a position where I would risk getting in a physical fight to get the last (insert x item here). I find most of the ads are misleading anyway because most stores only carry limited amounts of the “hot” item they have advertised. Unless you beat a path with a billy club to x item, you probably aren’t getting it. I don’t want to risk having to fight off a pack of tired, bleary eyed Black Friday shoppers just to get a deal.
4. I can empathize with the workers – I grew up working in retail so I know how angry shoppers can get when they really want something. I hate watching customers that are rude to the staff when something doesn’t go their way. I imagine on Black Friday that type of behavior magnified times 1 million. Iit’s just something I prefer not to see.
5. There are other ways to find deals – In recent years, the deals have been just as good shopping online on Black Friday and Cyber Monday. I think retailers realize a lot of us don’t want to leave the house so they have started to offer great deals. I prefer to find my deals that way.
What about you, do you brave the crowds or prefer to stay home like me?
Photo Credit: Image: Francesco Marino / FreeDigitalPhotos.net