Ok ladies, if your looking for ways to make money fast to pay off debt or get some fast cash, here are some things I have done in the past that have worked for me.
Now I know these tips aren’t going to work for each and every one of you, that’s why I’ve listed 21 different options!
Surely you will find at least one tip here that you can use to save yourself some money!
The Jenny Pincher’s Money Saving Tips
1. Cell phone – change your plan, remove unused lines or ask for a corporate discount. Don’t work at a corporation? Sprint gives a discount for being a credit union member. You never know what discounts are available until you ask!
2. Land line- If you still have a land line, my first question is why, and my second question is do you use it? Cancel it! If you do use it and you have features ‘bundled’ together? do you use them? It might be cheaper to remove some features you don’t use.
3. Cable – remove premium channels or cancel all together. I haven’t had cable in nearly 3 years!! Yay it feels so free to be without cable! I wrote an article on how I can watch inexpensive tv after ditching cable. You should read it and then you can do what I did and save yourself some money.
4. Haircuts – Beauty schools in my area charged any where from $5-$10 for a haircut! It sure beats the $50 I used to pay!! So if your a lil skeeered to go to a beauty school, read my beauty school tips article and listen to the secret weapon to staying beautiful and paying less.
5. Insurance – home and auto – have you shopped rates lately? looked at coverage? Doesn’t hurt to call around and ask! Just don’t sacrifice coverage to save yourself a few bucks.
7. Take your lunch to work – When you make meals at home, make extra to take to work the next day. Get over your aversion to leftovers. I promise it won’t kill you.
8. Use coupoons – I know they can sometimes be annoying but I promise they are worth it. If you want to go hog wild, here is some information on creating a coupon binder. If you want to be normal, check out my coupon resources page and then listen to this episode of the show “You Don’t Have to be an Extreme Couponer to Use Coupons!”
9. Utilities- Does your electric company offer budget billing? Why not give it a shot? Budget billing (as it’s called in my area) allows you to pay an average of your utilities each month so you don’t experience high utility bills during the peak season. This allows you to estimate the same amount each month. Disclaimer: If you your average amount is too low, you will have to pay the difference. If the average you pay is too high, you will get a credit. It’s important to monitor this each month so you don’t get a big surprise!
10. Have a yardsale – Every time I do a yardsale, I say I’m never doing one again. They are a lot of work but you get rid of your junk and make a little extra cash. Consider having one with other neighbors to attract more people.
11. Sell your ‘stuff’ on ebay or craigslist- you would be surprised at what people buy. Trust me. I’ve sold stupid things like a $5 cookie jar and old purses and clothes. For some reason people flock to that stuff, so don’t be afraid to list the stuff you have (as long as it’s in good condition). Oh and be smart with Craigslist. The Craigslist Killer movie is based on actual events….
12. Rent movies – Rent at Redbox instead of going to the movies. Cheap entertainment for $1! If you have a date, this makes for a great date night too!
13. Shop at the grocery store once a week vs. running in when you need 1 thing – When I went more than once a week, I would always walk out with much more than I anticipated on buying. You will too. So stop this habit. Plan ahead and shop for what you need once a week.
14. Cut out daily trips to the gas station/vending machine etc.. Its the little things, when added up, that make the biggest impact on your spending plan. Don’t believe me? Count how many times you say “it’s only” when you spend money. Then see my article “Two Words That Can Cause The Most Damage To Your Budget – It’s Only..”
15. Carpool- Go the same general direction as your neighbor or a friend? Try carpooling, even a couple of days a week can make a difference.
16. Gym memberships or misc memberships – are you using them? If not– cancel!!! This is one of the stupidest ways to spend your money (and trust me I know because I’ve done it!)
17. Call your credit card companies – Ask to get your interest rates reduce, if they don’t oblige, threaten to go to the competition and then see what they can do for you.The worst they can do is say no.
18. Have a clothing swap with friends – Trading clothes with friends can be just like getting a new wardrobe! Assuming your friends are the same size as you of course.
19. Have a dinner swap with friends – This is where everyone brings something and then you can ‘swap’ and take leftovers home. My friends and I used to do this. Until they started to trick me and put sour cream in everything we were eating and not tell me. I hate all white foods, especially sour cream, so this did me in.
20. Focus groups– Check in your area to see if there are marketing agencies that conduct focus groups- they pay cash! When I was laid off, I made a boatload of cash doing these!
21. Online survey groups – there are several and they pay small amounts here and there. YOU SHOULD NEVER HAVE TO PAY FOR THIS INFORMATION!
Have other ideas on how to cut back or save money? Feel free to leave them in the comments!